Week 3 Blog

 Today I decided to write about the song, "How Deep is the Ocean" by Bing Crosby. I am already familiar with some of Bing Crosby's music so I was excited to analyze this song. The first time I heard the song I tried to listen to the song as a whole by listening to musical aspects as well at the lyrics without overanalyzing it yet. The second time I listened to this song, the first thing I noticed was how slow the introduction tempo was. The contrast that appears sixteen seconds later is dramatic and takes the song from slow and somber to a bit more upbeat. This tempo jumps back and forth from being slower to more upbeat throughout the song. 

The final part that I paid special attention to was the lyrics! Crosby asks how deep a woman's love for him is through several metaphors. He asks if her love is as deep as the ocean. He also poses the question of how often he thinks of her in a day. He gives the answer of "How Deep is the Ocean?" implying that his love and the efforts he would go to in order to express that love is limitless. This song is so beautifully arranged and performed and the lyrics elevate the feelings that are instilled into the listener!

Comments

  1. Anna I absolutely love your take on this song, I would have never picked up on that metaphor of comparing the depth of the ocean to endless love! After reading the way you explained the beginning of the song, I had to go and listen to it for myself, the transitions from upbeat to somber are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment