Week 4 Blog
This week I decided to write about Ella Fitzgerald's, "A-Tisket-A-Tasket". When I first heard this song in class I wasn't sure how to feel about it. I wasn't a big fan of her bright tone at first. However, the first time I listened to it today I was a bit more used to it. I think knowing what to expect this time around helped me appreciate it more.
The second time I listened to it I thought about the lyrics. The lyrics aren't very deep or complex al all-but I don't think they were meant to be. It is obvious that this song was meant to be a light-hearted and perhaps even a silly song. The lyrics tell the story of a woman who has lost her yellow basket and is asking around to know if anyone has seen it. While the lyrics don't provide the most ideal ending (we're guessing that the little girl in the song took it and never returned it) it is a fun little tune regardless.
Photo Source: https://jazztimes.com/features/profiles/jazz-singers-ella-fitzgerald/
The third time I listened to this song I reflected on the feelings the song evokes for me. The upbeat tempo and jazz feel to the song make me want to dance. The lyrics of the song are disappointing when you put yourself into Fitzgerald's shoes-you really feel the disappointment she sings about. It isn't long, however until the listener forgets about the pain because of just how upbeat the song really does feel.
Word Count: 245
Hey Anna, I really liked your insights on the song and the new things that you discovered with each listen. I think that the song has a quality of childhood innocence to it that I really like. There is a reference to this song in Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Mary Had a Little Lamb" which is also, obviously a song rooted in a childhood feel.
ReplyDeleteI really liked your take on emotions for this song. It also gave me a childhood song feel like Zachary commented. The simplicity of the lyrics almost made it hard for me to keep interest because I like songs with a lot of deep meaning. Because of her bright voice, I feel as though it accentuated the childhood song feel even more to me.
ReplyDelete