Week 6 Blog

 This week I decided to write about "Takin' a Chance on Love" arranged by Fletcher Henderson and performed by Benny Goodman and His Orchestra. 

The first time I listened to this song on its own I observed what I liked about the song without studying it too into depth. First off, I love the introduction of just having the band play for a while. Once the guest singer began I simply danced and got a feel for the music. 

The second time I listened to this song I paid more attention to the lyrics and even read the lyrics along with it to more fully appreciate the words written for the song. The song doesn't have singing the entire time but there are a few lyrics. Perhaps my favorite line of the song is when it says, "We'll have our happy ending now taking a chance on love". 

The third time I listened to this song today I thought about Goodman's band. I like that the band stayed at a piano enough dynamic that the singer wasn't overpowered when she was singing but that they pulled their volume up noticeably when she was no longer seeing-so as to highlight the rest of the band. 

Word Count: 204 


Photo Source: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/benny-goodman/benny-goodman-and-his-orchestra-1935/


Comments

  1. I totally agree with what you said about their balance of dynamics. I feel that typically, with big band era songs, the jazz band overpowers the singer very often, so it was very refreshing to have a perfect balance that allowed me to appreciate both the singer and the band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also listened carefully and critically to this beautiful song named "Talking A Chance In Love". This helped me to prove and agree to what you have stated above. in addition, I still think about Goodman due the fact that he is for me a legend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment