Blog 3/14
This week I chose to write about Eagles' "Hotel California". This song is very popular for many reasons. The song is a highlight of the 70s. This song has powerful lyrics and a memorable melody.
The lyrics in this song are very interesting. On the surface, this song seems like it is simply about a good trip to California, however, the lyrics portray nearly the opposite--with darker meanings. There are a few lines that are most powerful for this opposite meaning. "You can check in any time you like but you can never leave" is one of them. Another powerful line portraying that California might not be the dream everyone envisions is when the line, "This could be heaven or this could be hell". Rest assured, this phrasing was intentional. Another impactful line in the song is when it says, "Some dance to remember, some dance to forget". In the case of this song, "dancing" may actually refer to drinking. The final most impactful line is when its said, "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969". This line holds double meaning, referring to spirit as a drink but also people's spirits for music.
The melody for this song is one many people immediately recognize even if they aren't familiar with the incredible lyrics. It starts off slow and quiet before it lends into the first verse and finally the chorus with the memorable drum breaks and synthesizer sounds. A big part of the melody in this song are the incredible guitar solos--the song would not be complete without them!
I do agree with you that this is a pretty popular song. Once the song starts playing, many people recognize it. I did not realize some of the double meaning behind the lyrics. I knew that it was an interesting song, but I did not know the true meaning behind it.
ReplyDelete