Week 9 Blog Post 3-20-22

 This week I decided to listen to "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. This song is an absolute classic so I was super excited when we talked about it in class. The first time I listened I listened to the song in its entirety-I listened to the beat, the bassline and melody. I loved how the trumpet parts finish the phrases. 

The second time I listened through the song I paid more attention to the lyrics and even read along with them. This is one of those songs that I had never paid close attention to the verses' lyrics previously. This time I noticed that the verses really made references to different superstitions that people hold. For example, Wonder says, "...broke the looking glass, seven years of bad luck". This line is really interesting because many people are superstitious about mirrors-especially breaking them. The bridge to the chorus says, "When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer". This line also highlights superstition and general paranoia. 

The final listen I focused on the overall groove of the song and how it was created. The drumbeat helps keep the song moving from the very beginning. The bass guitar is what holds the groove. Finally, the singing is a mix of smooth and rough vocals. 





https://www.motownmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/mm_Stevie-Wonder_Featured-Photo-2.jpg

Word Count: 214 

Comments

  1. I don't think I've ever heard this song but I guess since it's "an absolute classic" I just might have to give it a listen. I have heard of Stevie Wonder but I am not sure I have actually heard any of his music. Although maybe if I heard some of his bigger hits I would recognize him. Great blog post I'll definitely give the song a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song choice. Stevie Wonder is one of the coolest musicians ever in my opinion, as he was totally blind and an amazing piano player. This is a really great song too, one of my favorite songs is a cover of this song by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment